What is a spray tan?
Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is a colourless sugar and the active ingredient in the guide coloured solution that will be sprayed onto your skin. Applied using a specialist low pressure spraying machine. The DHA in the solution interacts with the proteins and amino acids in the outer layer of your skin to produce a natural olive colour. The colour you see at the time of your treatment is purely a guide colour for me to see that your skin is evenly covered. Your actual tan will have developed and will be revealed after you shower.
Is it Safe?
Yes, very safe. A Sienna X tan can give the same results as spending 10-14 days in the sun, but without the harmful effects of UV exposure. DHA has been approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for use in the personal are industry for over 30 years and no adverse affects have been reported other than minor skin irritations. Allergic reactions are extremely rare. However, if you have experienced allergic reactions to self-tanning or other beauty products please arrange a skin patch test first with me.
I'm pregnant can I still use Sienna X products?
Absolutely, pregnant ladies can use tanning products, but we always recommend avoiding the use of fake tan during the first trimester of pregnancy. This is only because the first trimester is such a crucial time for the development of the child that we wouldn’t want to introduce any new products at all to the skin.
What will happen before, during and after my treatment?
- On your first tanning treatment, I will ask you a number of questions and a consultation card will be completed.
- You will then undress to your chosen dark underwear and remove jewellery.
- Barrier cream will be applied to your hands, elbows, knees, feet and other dry areas to reduce tan absorption.
- Simply follow my instructions, spraying will take around 10 minutes.
- The guide colour you will see will be showered off after your development time of up to 8 hours to reveal your natural looking tan.
Your tan will last between 5 and 7 days depending on your daily skincare regime and lifestyle. A sunless tan, just like a natural tan from the sun, fades as your skin sheds its dead cells. The more you look after your tan, the longer it will last and the better the fade-off will be.
Our gorgeous, award-winning Gradual Glowing Self Tan is a DHA rich moisturiser, which will help maximise the longevity of your tan by adding moisture and adding extra colour. For more information on prolonging your tan,
I need to re arrange my appointment
- are in your first trimester of pregnancy
- have had an allergic reaction to tanning or any other skin care products
- are asthmatic or if you have breathing difficulties